Translate

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Theory #4 - Don't discredit the benefits of Eastern Medications

Doctors will insist upon western medications.  These include drugs like Reglan, Domperidone (can't get the United States, must order outside of country), Erithromycin (an antibiotic that causes peristalsis), etc.

However, there are drugs that aren't mentioned that may provide relief.

For instance.  A treatment I occasionally will take is Aloe Vera Juice.  This aloe vera juice is made from aloe vera gel.  This is important because there have been health risks from aloe vera juice containing aloin.  Aloe Vera is a natural substance that has healing properties.  Most people use it for skin treatments.  However, not many people are aware that aloe vera also has has healing properties within the body.  Aloe vera juice is one of those juices that can be safely drank 8 oz. at a time, once a day.  This is all that is needed for maximum benefit.  This will help with irritations and pain caused from a stomach infection.  Word of caution:  I find aloe vera juice to taste NASTY.  However, I have found ways to make it taste better, including mixing it with apple juice (equal parts), and adding a Crystal Light Fruit Punch packet to it.  It even has a little effervescence. :)

Another thing I take for it is ginger.  However, for ginger to have any type of gastric motility improvement, you have to take about 1200 mg when you eat.  The pills I have found here are anywhere from 500 mg to 550 mg.  So, I take two of those with ginger ale.  This has seemed to help me feel hungry sooner and has helped me pass food a little faster.  Ginger is also supposed to be an antiemetic, but for me at least, I don't get that benefit from it.

Another thing I will occasionally take is Iberogast.  This is a herbal concoction that you mix with water.  About 20 drops taken 2-3 times a day are supposed to help with gastric motility.  This stuff even says on the bottle that it is for improving gastric motility.  Iberogast has no reported side effects (although if you have problems with alcohol including alcoholism, then don't take).  However, for people who can handle a little alcohol and can keep water down, Iberogast has helped a lot of people, including myself.

Betaine HCL with Pepsin is something else I take.  This was addressed in Theory #1.  I have found that Betaine HCL helps make foods that are normally difficult to digest easier to digest for me.  Others may have the same benefits, others may not.  However, with this, I would make sure you have low stomach acid before you try it.

I also take Benadryl.  Yes, this does classify as a "western medication." However, its usage was NOT prescribed by a doctor.  Benadryl's active ingredient is diphenhydramine.  Diphenhydramine is a drug found in Sominex and Unisom as well.  However, a little known fact.  Dramamine is a well-known anti-emetic medication for people with motion sickness.  Dramamine's active ingredient is listed as dimenhydrinate.  Upon further research, you would find that dimenhydrinate is a combination of two salts:  diphenhydramine and 8-chlorotheophylline.  8-chlorotheophylline is in simplest terms, a stimulant similiar to caffeine.  So, believe it or not, Benadryl is a safe drug that can be taken to manage nausea.  And taking two of those when I am nauseated, does seem to work.  Side effect... I get a little drowsy.  So I also take meclozine (Draminine II) as an alternative when I am at work.

I have also heard good things of acupuncture as well.  I am in the process of doing more research into "at-home" pressure point stimulation of points to improve gastric motility (since I am nowhere near a acupuncturist). 

Doctors will mainly focus on western medications because that's what they know.  However, people have survived and dealt with a lot of these problems long before western medication.  As such, we should be able to rely on older methods to combat these issues as well.  Let me know how eastern intervention has helped you. :)

As always, thank you for reading.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment